Malaysia, in the blink of an eye


I know it's been forever since I visited Malaysia on the last April. I should've written it 3-4 months ago.  I won't make up any defense about where have I been, or how busy I was that I couldn't have a minute to update my blog. I was too lazy to log into my blog. Pardon me, readers for I have sinned. Now, I finally decided to share the story (to be exact: the pictures I've taken) on my blog.


The story was started when I got an email that I was selected as one of the scholarship recipients to attend Asean People Forum in Kuala Lumpur. I couldn't express how happy and excited I was back then. The scholarship covered the airfare, accommodation, and per diem during the 3 days-conference. It was my first trip abroad. Alone. And free. Yeay! (I know I am being exaggerating, because it's only Malaysia, not so far from my country of origin. But still, guys, it's abroad! xp )

In short, I arrived safely in Kuala Lumpur a day earlier than the conference. I booked a room--no, a bed--in a guesthouse, Raizzy's Guesthouse. If you happen planning a trip somewhere, I suggest you to book a room/bed online, either you use Agoda, or Traveloka, etc, because it would be cheaper rather than booking it on the spot. My guesthouse was located in Chinatown area. This place is awesome. Simple yet comfortable. Since I had chosen a dormitory room type, I had to share my room with other guest and I happened to be in a room with a French woman named Laurie. She is an interesting woman. We shared a lot of thought on anything: culture, Indonesian tradition, occidental-oriental way of thinking, being Balinese and French women, etc. As an amateur traveler I had never knew that there was a dormitory room which is usually being the primary choice for the solo traveler or those who travel with a limited budget. I met some new friends from various countries here, includes the friendly guesthouse staff. I think I will arrange a solo trip next year,  the atmosphere of walking alone in a country you have never been in, with a truly different living habits and culture left a sort of I-should-try-this-kind-of-trip-again feeling.

In short, the next day I moved to the hotel provided by Asean People Forum, Impiana Hotel--a five star hotel near the Petronas Tower, the downtown area in Kuala Lumpur, an area with immense buildings as far as the eye can see. You can imagine the class transition I've passed from a USD 10 guesthouse to a how-many-hundred-USD-per-night-I-don't-know-five star hotel. This scholarship was unbelievable. 

In the five star hotel, I shared a room with Puri, she is from KontraS, a Jakarta-based non profit organization that handles human rights cases. I learned a lot of new things relating human rights from her, every single day. She happened to be one of the speakers in a Death Penalty forum. 

The most precious experience I gained from this chance was not the five star hotel with a superb breakfast menu. But the surprising facts on what have been happening in South East Asian countries. So, this Asean People Forum event is a forum to discuss civil society from the SEA countries: from LGBT issue, indigenous people, human rights, etc. Most of the participants were those who got involved in NGO or other organization relating civil society. 

I have just realized that the SEA countries face almost the same problems, specifically in human right matters. There are those who are being discriminated because they are minority, or those whose lands were taken forcibly for the sake of modern development. Ironically, all this time we know nothing about our neighboring countries. In fact, we are more aware on what happens in America, Saudi Arabia, or Europe. 

Some people I have met during the conference told me that I am very lucky to be an Indonesian. "You guys can do the protest or demonstration as much as you can in your country. Here, once you write a critic towards the government or draw a cartoon that offends the king or the prime minister, you will be arrested, without any trial, or moreover chance to make any self defense". 

By attending this conference, I realized how ignorance I have been for not knowing and not doing anything to my environment, for the sake of humanity. While everyday, the situations are getting worse. I know this words sound cliche, but my awareness on human right, LGBT issue, political case, and indigenous people increase ever since. In my opinion, the simplest thing you can do to help those who face unfair treatment or discrimination, or any other things regarding public interest is spreading the right information that can raise the awareness from people who once were unfamiliar.

I owe the world to this conference, and people I have met as well, whose ideas and experiences inspired me. Thank you Malaysia for the wonderful 5 days, I will to be sure come back again!


the opening of Asean People Forum


during the breaks, the conference participants express their aspirations on some human right matters

a monk took a picture of the Sarawak society who voice their protest about the dam development plan 


Deden Bangkit, fellow participant from Indonesia led the discussion about his documentary, a story about migrant workers


a Shinto temple near my guesthouse in Chinatown area

the neighborhood

Every night this place turns into a crowded, busy, Chinatown foodstree. I took this picture in the morning.

the neighborhood




Laurie, my roomate in the guesthouse

I got neck pain looking up



signature pork noodle from Chinatown food street

not so satisfying tour, but at least I got a half price, thanks to my student card 


this Hindu temple stands right beside my guesthouse
the smiley florist in front of the Hindu temple
the guesthouse where I stayed

breakfast set in the guesthouse

how my dormitory room type looked like



the guesthouse's living room







I took some pictures with a film camera. It has been 12 years since the last time I used film camera. Thank you Yoga LGY for lending me this cute little thing.



































Thank you for reading!
-Ayu Diah Cempaka-


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment